Wednesday, June 23, 2004

My computer at work is broken. It died some time during the weekend, a victim of some email-checking mishap. Some person or persons killed it, and I came in on Monday to find the cold corpse sitting in its usual spot under my desk. Funeral services will be held at the city dump, where a casket of garbage will be inhumed with the earthly remains of the deceased. It has no name and no family, and served its life as a drone at a bookstore.
Seriously, though, that and a puzzling inability to sleep or remain awake are why I haven't posted in a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry about your loss, but you have an opportunity to prevent this tragedy from becoming even worse: Please recycle the computer instead of throwing it in the trash. Computers contain lead and other harmful pollutants, and components can be reused.

Dell has a recycling program and a donation program, and I'm pretty sure they take systems that are not Dells.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/dell_recycling?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

-Sharon

MisterNihil said...

Yeah. We didn't really kill it. I was just being melodramatic 'cuz they took it on Monday and I got no update until today, when they moved everything off my desk and re-hooked it back up. We wouldn't really have thrown it away as simple as that. It just needed a new power supply.
I know Dell has a good recycling program. It's why I laughed recently at the EnviroNazi who came to my house, asking me to sign a petition demanding that Dell institute a recycling program, that they were just dumping the old computers into the water or something equally heinous. If yer gonna go door to door, you'd better at least have a petition to change something real. I mean, I don't go asking people to sign a piece of paper asking them to ban the rampant spread Martians in the GroundWater.
But maybe I should...