Wednesday, June 16, 2004

OK, the frisbee poem is actually kinda sweet. I'm not saying there isn't a legitimate human emotion attempting to express itself through the poetry, and I'm not saying he's not a smart guy. I talked with him over the phone, so I know that, although he's a might long-winded, he's a decent sort and able to use the language effectively. I don't get what would possess a person to decide that something like
The cat
jumped over
the lazy mat
of the moon.

is poetry. He didn't write that, I did (but he did write this), but I don't claim that every use of the language is art. Sure, it's fascinating to participate in the endless masturbatory swirl that is babbling crap, but it's something eles entirely to believe, and I've heard him talk about this and he honestly believes this, that what you're doing is Art. I mean, good for ya' thinking that, but it's my place as a no-talent hack and a critic to find it, read it, and decide for myself whether I think it's good or not. My opinion: not good.
Hey! I have a comment system. Anybody else have anything resembling an opinion?

4 comments:

M said...

Everything I've read by this guy (stuff you linked to and stuff I found browsing his site)--it's all just bad. IMHO. I mean, eye of the beholder and all that, and maybe I'm a rare person, maybe most people like this kind of thing.

~ZM

MisterNihil said...

I'm glad to be validated. How's things Boston-way?

M said...

Come on up here and find out! You guys are the only ones who haven't visited. Or is that some kind of backhanded hint?

~ZM

MisterNihil said...

Yeah. We need very much to go up that way before long. Now that Tosha's workin', we'll have to schedule carefully. We'll work it out. Maybe she could "call in sick" or something later in July...