Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Dane's Flying Dog, At Last!

I have my pencils. I have my sharpener. I have my eraser. I am as ready as I will ever be. The test, which I have studied for, is supposed to be 100-120 questions, covering logical reasoning, reading comprehension and logic games. I spent almost a year preparing for the test, on and off. I have a logic games app on my phone which has replaced Cut The Rope. I have spent two weeks obsessing over the details of the four page instructions list which the Council were thoughtful enough to include with my admission ticket. I have a snack, not more than 20 ounces of water and my wallet in a gallon zip top bag. I bought wooden number 2 pencils, (Ticonderoga! The finest pencil made!) an object which I have not possessed in more years than I should.


Outside of the General Services Building, a small dog, probably some kind of Australian Shepherd mix, takes flight. He flies in long, lazy circles around the lawn. He drifts close to a tree, and snatches a shocked squirrel from a branch.

I prepared for the test, under a misapprehension. It was one which I believe will prove beneficial. There are five sections of 20-30 questions each, making just over 100 questions. The test is, say the professionals, one of time management as much as logic. Many people don’t finish many sections. Don’t be alarmed if you don’t. Just work quickly. Somehow, I conflated these facts, and was prepared for a test comprising five sections of 100-120 questions each. It was a relief to see only a single page answer sheet.

The dog drifts up to the drainpipes at the top of the building, and begins sniffing them busily. He marks the upper corners, much to the dismayed delight of those on the ground. He flies over to an air conditioning unit and floats over the top, cooled by the rushing air.

On the way to the test, I began to question everything. My preparation seemed woefully insufficient. At the test, the youthful expectant sat, waiting to be allowed into the room. They shared war stories (two hours a day for a year, still not ready, took it in October and got a 120), spread urban legends (guy whose writing sample was just an elaborate drawing of a penguin, just drew a picture of a T-Rex eating a car and still got into law school with his perfect score) and inflated their experience (I took 3 practice tests yesterday, haven’t done anything but study for this for the last two weeks). I am not part of that culture. I can only hope I am ready. If not, I have nobody but myself to blame.

The dog barks at birds, chases them into the sky and zips around behind them, clearly exhilarated. He perches at the top of a pecan tree and yips at the sky for several minutes, drawing a crowd. Then, his business apparently done, he quietly slips off to the east, over town and buildings, toward the Atlantic.

No comments: