Friday, July 04, 2003

So, Barbeque sauce is one of those art forms doomed to stagnation. At its best, the sauce is a thick, sweet, tomato-based fluid for marinating and cooking meat or other grilled items. At its most complex, it contains such wonders as black pepper or black-beans and corn. At its simplest and, apparently, most historically accurate, it's ketchup with sugar added.
From what I hear, that's the origin of what we today call barbeque sauce: cowboys on cattle drives in the early-to-mid 19th century cooked with a sauce made of sugar mixed with ketchup.
Personally, I think that limits the end product. Perhaps, if we think about it historically, a wider variety of sauces can be called Barbeque, but still, with the origin being two commercially manufactured products being mixed, and a market of approximately six thousand brands and types of sauces available today and relatively unchanged since the 50s, I'm going to posit that there will be few if any big advancements in barbeque sauce in the near future.
In fact, I'd say that there have only been two real advances in barbeque sauce technology, ever: one was, of course, the invention of Ketchup. The other, I'd say, is the relatively recent discovery in this country of real peppers.
The import and growing of habanero peppers (as well as other "exotic" pepper varietals) has only recently become big business, and these spicier and tastier peppers have only become available in the common grocery store in the last quarter century. They allowed barbeque sauce to change and become, far from just ketchup with sugar in it, very spicy ketchup with sugar in it.
Happy 4th.
My intent is to barbeque, besides the obligatory rump roast, portabello mushrooms (which, yes, I have the materials necessary to french fry, in case one of my readers thinks I misremembered) and firm tofu, both of which are wonderful with a spicy barbeque sauce, smoked on mesquite briquettes.
Oh, yeah, and live music is probable from these fine folks.

Updated 7-15
The rump roast was predictably tough. I braised it in butter and a homemade barbeque sauce, and it came out to be very edible, but the really nice meat was the slightly better cut of meat that I just put on the grill until it was cooked. It came out tender and smoky and really very nice. I also tossed on four yams which came out soft and sweet, as yams are want to do. It was good, and the music played after was very nice. I had a little squabble with Toshi after, but it was nothing serious and was fixed as quickly as these things are fixed.

No comments: