Monday, May 10, 2004

I needn't have worried about my Nigerian friend. Today, two crisp new credit card numbers came in the mail, and I reported 'em right back to the banks. His writing is getting bad. It puts me in mind of a story genre:
---
4-2-04
Mr Mister,
I need sixty copies of Black's Law Dictionary in Paperback. Please send them along. I have included two credit card numbers.
Yours, Ms. John Mark Ken Kenny Beller Fash
4-9-04
Mr Mister,
I have contacted the bank, but until the difficulties with those cards is resolved, plese use these two. It is absolutely urgent that I obtain sixty copies of Black's Law Dictionary before they arrive. The secrets contained in these tomes may be able to hold Them off, drive them back to the twisted world from which they come. I can say no more. Attached, plese find the additinal card numbers.
Yours, Ms. John Kenny Beller Ken Fash Mark
4-12-04
Mr Mister,
I appologize again for the inconvenience. I'm afraid the first of them arrived. Please, I am desperate. Charge the sixty copies of Black's Law Dictionary to my credit card and ship them post haste to my residence in Nigeria. I have held it off for the last six days, but cannot wait much longer. Pleas! I beg you!
Yours, Ms. John Mark Fash Kenny Ken Beller
4-22-04
Mr Mister,
Good Lord in heaven! They are hideous! The things drip slime that corrodes the walls of my home. And last night... I dare not think of why, but they took my dearest Minnie. What am I to do? In the night, I hear slurping sounds and her screams. God, her screams. They do not stop. Please charge the Law Dictionary to these two additional card numbers. Hurry! For God's sake, pleas hurry!
Yours, Ms. John Fash Ken Mark Beller Kenny
5-1-04
Mr Mister,
One of the stands even now at the foot of my bed. Its horrible tentacles writhe in the near-darkness, and it wheezes in long gasps. The horrid sussurus has precluded sleep for the last week. I have not had opportunity to write. I dare not leave my home. They surround me. Please! Only you can help! Send the Law Dictionaries or my fate may be sealed! They watch me type even now. It stands there, breathing... watching... learning.
Yours, Ms. Kenny "Ken" Beller John Mark Fash
5-10-04
HELLO NIHIL,
     I HAVE CONTACT MY BANK AND WAS TOLD THE PROBLREM AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO WORK OUT THING'S BUT FOR THE MOMENT PLS TRY AND CHAGE 1,500 DOLLARS ON THIS CARD AND I WILL ARRANGE FOR THE PICK UP HERE IS THE CARD DETAILS

CARD DETAILS
NAME IS...Ms. Mark Fash
ADDRESS IS...103FAKE STREET
FAKE CITY,
IN 47586
CARD NUMBER IS 424612345678910
EXPIRE DATE IS...08/04 SO PLS TYR AND CHAGE THE NOW AND REPLY ME THANK'S BYE FOR NOW.
---
That last is a real letter from my Nigerian friend. The name I used is actually a compound of all of the names he (she? I never really give my Nigerian Friend's gender much thought, really) uses to try to buy books. None of his previous letters are as fluid as any of my silly story examples. The above is a work of fiction. If he were half as entertaining as that, I'd have posted his letters a long time ago.

No comments: