Friday, January 30, 2004

I keep having this thought:
Man, there are so many books these kids are reading today while they wait for the New Harry Potter, they just keep reading to get that fix. It's like they've just got to have something to read and they don't really care what it is.
And then I think: yeah, so? That's good, right? It's how I read...
It's just creepy. Yeah, they watch more TV than any generation before them, but they also read like none in a long time. I live in the South, in one of the states people point to when they want an example of a bad education system, but we can't keep books for school-age kids on the shelves. Ruthie's school is pushing her to read in a more effective way than mine ever did, and kids get literary references (albeit ones in books aimed at them, but is that bad?).
Watch out: the next generation are readers. I guess it's about time we had one o' them again. I better get writing already, or I'll be left completely behind.

No comments: